Monday, November 12, 2012

Dirty Little Secret?

Partly inspired by my visit to my brother's house, and partly by just sheer disgustedness in myself, I've spent the last few hours doing something called "unfucking my habitat". No, this is not just another reason to show off my potty mouth, I didn't make this up. You can find it here: UFYH. It's basic premise is that real people can sometimes get messy, and here is a good way to fix it that won't be overwhelming.

I have used some of their techniques a lot, namely the 20/10 (20 minutes of unfucking, 10 minutes of break). It works SWELL. Lately it's been 20 minutes of cleaning the kitchen, and then using the 10 minutes of break to look up stuff on the internet like "how to get the burnt ring off my glass top range" on google. I don't always stick to the hard and fast 20 minutes and 10 minutes. Sometimes it's just loading the dishwasher and getting it running, then I can watch the next segment of Lark Rise to Candleford (usually about 12 minutes) on youtube, THEN get my ass up and take out the garbage and sweep the kitchen. Lather Rinse Repeat.

In fact, I am writing this blog over the course of a few of my 10 minute breaks. I'm rather proud of myself about that.

It's funny though, this whole "work hard then have a few minutes to chill" thing...we do that with the kid and his spelling lessons here at home. He's getting a B+ in his personal "hardest" subject. His dad breaks up the 20 words into 5 word mini lists, and the kid takes a "test", then he writes all the words he got wrong five times, and then he gets 5 - 10 minutes to chill and watch his cartoon. Then it's pause the cartoon and back to the next list. So apparently there's something to this.

All I know is that I just moved the microwave to the place I've wanted it since we moved in here. Then I moved the counter top ice maker to the place the microwave was, which is conveniently located next to the keurig (a.k.a the iced tea maker), which frees up the peninsula counter nicely. Once I get the all the dishes run through the dishwasher it will look pretty damn good in there. A few more 20/10s and I'm going to post a note in there:

THIS IS EXACTLY HOW I WANT MY KITCHEN. 
DO NOT MOVE ANYTHING WHERE IT DOES NOT GO. 
CLEAN UP AFTER YOURSELF. 
DIRTY DISHES GO IN THE DISHWASHER FOR NOW AND FOREVER. 
PUNISHABLE BY FLOGGING. 



No comments:

Post a Comment